Tuesday, March 5, 2013

MEA MAXIMA CULPA: Silence in the House of God

Jesus Christ on a wooden crutch!

Last night I watched a documentary called Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God by Alex Gibney and let me say that I am utterly disgusted. While there is unlimited evidence of man's depravity and folly all around us, what has gone on, been going on and probably will go on under the umbrella of the Vatican is beyond evil.

It seems that the Roman Catholic Church has been aware of priests displaying very unpriestly behavior from as far back as the 4th Century. (And thats putting it mildly when we're talking about pedophilia.) With documented evidence of such behaviors in the most recent cases and yet the powers that be cannot find a solution? They cannot find any way to end such evil? If the House of God cannot find its way out of evil situations and get rid of the nastiness that resides in some souls (souls that it endorses and elevates to priesthood) then what hope is there for us mere mortals?

It was a terrible film to watch and it left a bitter, sour taste in my mouth. I know that this kind of evil and abuse of power is not exclusive to the Vatican and that every religious powerhouse in the world must cast the same net. The thing is that we let them. We have given them this power in our quest for absolution and immortality. In our need for a happily forever and ever more beyond the grave. Religion and belief and spirituality should bring us peace at the very least. "Us" as a whole. We are to blame for what is wrong in this world. Ignorance is no longer our excuse. No God would stand for what we humans have mutated in His stead. When will we wake up?




2 comments:

  1. Infuriating, isn't it? For myself, I'm not sure I really believe in an afterlife, at least not in the way most major religions propose. I definitely don't believe in giving some MAN money and proof of my goodness to get me across the veil. IF an all-powerful being exists, and it cares about these life forms, wouldn't you think what you are is between it and yourself?

    ReplyDelete